Saturday, April 9, 2016

COC - The Probe, part one

In which The Land of Counterpane returns to its cultural roots.

The Land of Counterpane takes its name from Robert Louis Stevenson's poem about playing with toy soldiers, buildings and ships when confined to bed with a childhood illness.  With the twins away at uni I have access to a couple of rooms that will remain undisturbed for a while.  Charlie's bed (overlaid with 2' square boards and a GW battlemat) has now become a battlefield.


I plan to play through, and document here, a full, solo game of Chain of Command.  This should get me sufficiently familiar with the rules to offer them as an option for a Saturday Afternoon Wargame.

My scenario is based on the fighting in the Reichswald, during Operation Veritable in early 1945.  I plan to use the standard scenario The Probe from the Chain of Command rule book.


The Reichswald (Imperial Forest) is an area of dense woodland right on the Dutch-German border.  My whole table is therefore wooded except a few areas of open ground and some long green lanes that cut straight through the forest.  I think of the long diagonal lane as the Kartenspielerweg, one of the main lanes still to be found on modern maps.

 
I'll try and blog regularly as I go through the game.  Hopefully this will be helpful to give you an idea of the rules in use. As usual the forces will be from my 20mm scale collection.

3 comments:

Kaptain Kobold said...

I played my first game of CoC this week. We really enjoyed it, but I had someone else doing the hard work of reading the rules for me :)

Counterpane said...

They aren't the worst written set of rules by TFL. The first edition of Sharp Practice has more "vaguary".

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Look forward to following this game. Table looks great :-)