Sunday, January 22, 2017

The Great Hill Reboot

Over the years I've accumulated a selection of war games hills, bought and home-built and finished in a variety of styles.  Some are painted green, others have dry-brushing and some have static grass. My terrain building style has changed over the years and I've now decided to do a reboot and bring them all up to the most modern standard.

I started off with this selection of temperate (i.e. not desert) hills:


As you can see, they don't have a coherent look to them.  I started off by painting them all in a variety of earthy shades using cheap crafter's acrylics:


When these colours were dry, I dry brushed the lot with a pale sandy shade and then started static grassing:


So far I've used one shade of grass applied to irregular shaped areas of watered down PVA.  This grass is a mixture of 4Ground's Summer Mix (a little too intense a green) and Woodland Scenics Medium Green (distinctly dull) applied with my static grass applicator. I don't usually bother with the applicator as usually I'm adding small clumps of static grass to figures' bases but with these larger areas I do think it makes a difference.  Having done all of them I put them aside to dry and to be honest because I was fed up with gluing and scattering and recycling unused static grass.


Some close ups....



The next step is to add some other static grass of a different colour and then some Woodland Scenics fine turf flock.

There guys should be done in time to take their places at Crisis Point in early April.

3 comments:

Andy Canham said...

The new look is a huge improvement and using the similar style will make them blend together on the table top. Very nice.

Cheers, Andy

Counterpane said...

Thanks Andy - that's what I was going for.

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Yes nice job Oracle of Andreivia.
Cheers
Richard P